I like to call myself an aspiring makeup artist, because I'm only just beginning to learn the tricks of the trade, and I know I have a lot of practice to do before I can remotely call myself a pro.
However, something I have been doing for quite a while is helping other people find their way to makeup. In sharing my love of makeup with others, I've come across many people who are really interested in makeup but are intimidated by it, and who want to know how to do their own makeup but are not sure where to start.
This is, hopefully, where I come in. Much in the same way that I take literature and make it understandable and enjoyable for my students, I can do the same for others with makeup. I can do your makeup for you, but what will be even better is that I can show you how to do your makeup yourself. There will always be occasions where hiring a makeup artist comes is your best bet, but when it's not an option to bring someone else in, it's good to have some skills and tools under your belt.
Here's what I typically do:
- We'll arrange a time and date to meet.
- Before we meet, I will ask you to share with me a bit about yourself - your current makeup habits, what products you own, and what you want out of our time to meet. This will give me a chance to figure out some techniques and product recommendations specific to you.
- I will come to you and work with you in your space. This may or may not involve reorganizing your makeup area a bit.
- It depends on your goals, of course, but I will provide some basic application instruction, some "What the heck is this brush used for?" know-how, and I will walk you through putting on your own makeup in a gentle and judgement-free way. Need a minimal look for work? We can do that. Need a sweatproof zombie face for your next derby game? We can do that too. ;)
- If there are products that you need and want to purchase, I will go with you to your nearest drugstore/Target/Ulta/Sephora/department store and help you pick products. It doesn't matter to me whether you're looking for prestige cosmetics or if you want me to help you build an all-budget-brand stash. I will shop with you, and I will be your advocate if the salesperson gets too pushy :) And of course, I'll show you how to use the new stuff you just bought too.
Depending on what your needs are, this is anything from a 2-4 hour visit, which doesn't include my driving time. (I'm open to doing an online consultation with anyone who is too far for me to see in person.)
Above all, the key thing about my session with you is that it will be gentle and judgement-free. It doesn't matter to me if you've never used an eye pencil before in your life. It doesn't matter to me if you want to stick to drugstore brands only. My philosophy about makeup is (and always has been) that it should be fun and empowering, something that you do for you, because it makes you happy. I promise I will never shame you or think less of you for what you already know or don't know about makeup.
If this sounds like something you're interested in, let me coach you. Drop me a line at editionsofthu (at) gmail (dot) com. Let me know what you're hoping to learn and we'll go from there.